So I dropped the ball. For a year. The last post I did was a while ago, and I probably should be more sorry, but I’m really not. Life (and laziness) gets in the way, and I’m now almost at the end of my degree. Since this year is all about things ending and beginning, I decided to reflect back in a series of little life lessons. These may not apply to you, and I know that 21 years isn’t that long in the grand scheme of things, but I hope to be able to look back one day and remember what life was like. For now, here it is.
1. It’s really difficult to get hair-dye off painted walls. Hairspray doesn’t work. Seriously, don’t spray hairspray on walls.
2. In school, people respect you for being the same. In university, people respect you for being different. Seriously. If you want to go to lectures wearing bright pink pyjamas, you do that.
3. You don’t have to read adult books just because society says you’re an adult. Difficult books are boring if you don’t understand. Read a YA book about wizards. It’s fun.
4. Don’t feel guilty if you don’t want to go out for an evening. You probably wouldn’t have enjoyed it anyway if you weren’t in the mood.
5. In relation to that, BEING ALONE IS OKAY!
6. If you think an item of clothing won’t suit you, try it on anyway. You’ll always wonder.
7. It’s never too early to start celebrating Christmas, no matter how many people post statuses about it.
8. I’ve learnt so many things at university outside of my course, but that doesn’t mean you have to go. Get an apprenticeship. Get a job. Go to college. Work for your parents. Do whatever the hell you want. There’s no right way.
9. One thing that I’ve seen circulating online is that you should surround yourself with driven people who will make you want to achieve your own goals. As much as I do believe this, you shouldn’t rule out a person because they aren’t as driven as your other friends. Maybe you can be the person who will push them to dream. And if not? Well, at least you tried.
10. You can celebrate your own little achievements. You went to a dentist appointment by yourself? That’s brilliant!
11. Make up is fun. And it’s for you. If someone says you’re doing it wrong, don’t listen to them. Wear it however you like.
12. Dogs are very important.
13. Never go to someones house and refuse to eat what they make for you, unless you’re allergic or vegetarian. It’s rude.
14. If you’re playing Ring of Fire, you don’t have to drink the dirty pint. Seriously.
15. Don’t be afraid to return your drink to the bar if it doesn’t look/taste right. They’ll remake it for you!
16. Dressing up for costume nights is fun. Don’t be the person who didn’t make an effort.
17. Your relationship problems are your relationship problems. Unless you know they cheated on you, don’t post about it, tweet about it, or write a song about it. We don’t want to know, and it’s a low blow to your partner.
18. Buy Dettol wipes. They are lifesavers.
19. Don’t do all the work in a group presentation. Split it into equal parts and only do your bit. They’ll be the ones who look stupid when they have nothing to say.
20. Going to bed with a cup of tea early is okay. My housemates think I’m a grandma. I’m okay with it.
21. The last thing is that 21 is not an adult. I still feel 18. I don’t even remember being 19. Don’t expect to suddenly grow up. I’m not sure it’ll ever happen. Revel in your youth.